26 December 2017

Acts of Saint Codratius, 15-16



Acts of Saint Codratius, 15-16


Martyrdom c. 251 CE.

Source: Conybeare, F. C. 1894. The Apology and Acts of Apollonius: And Other Monuments of Early Christianity, p. 210. Swan Sonnenshein & Co.


Then the Consul ordered that he should be stretched upon stones, and that they should put upon his hands and feet enormous stones, and beat him for a long time with cudgels. But the blessed one in his torment sang psalms and said: "Many a time they fought with me in my childhood, but mastered me not. On my back the sinful smote me." And when he had finished the psalm, the Consul said: ''Let him be beaten longer, since he has not felt anything." Codratius replied: "Smite, smite my flesh, which thou thinkest to torture; for thou makest glad my spirit in a way thou knowest not." Then the Consul said: "Thou hast mastered, O wretched one, an evil demon." Codratius replied: "I swear by my Saviour Christ, that Jesus Christ my Lord hath mastery over one still worse, and not over one only, but over all his host. To Him be glory everlasting." And the multitude of the brethren sent forth the Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment